A throwback treat that will have you trying to remember what decade your in. Is surprising what the little bit of orange flavor does for the taste of the whole cookie bar. YUM!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups brown sugar, slightly packed
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk (It won’t be the end of the world if you don’t add the egg yolk but it does make the bars a little more chewy.)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp orange extract or 1 tsp fresh orange zest (If you don’t like orange, you can add ½ tsp of ground cinnamon.)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups quick oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 12 ounce package of Nestle Butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In your stand mixer or with a hand mixer, cream together the softened butter and brown sugar for one minute. Add the eggs, water and orange extract. Mix until well combined.
- Add the flour, oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix again until well combined making sure to check the bottom of the mixer or bowl that it is mixed throughout.
- Add the butterscotch chips and mix until just combined.
- Scoop the cookie bar dough out onto the cooking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Use the back of a spoon or a spatula to evenly spread it over the cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting into squares.